6.04.2015

Kindergraten Graduation and End of Year Awards

Wow! This year went by so fast! The boys have learned so much this last school year and I am so grateful for the amazing teachers they each had this year who have lead and guided the boys into new interests and passions.

Carter is my little math wiz and he also learned to read this year. I had worked on reading with him prior to starting kindergarten but he has just blossomed and is reading above grade level now. I think watching a child learn to read is one of the most magical times for me. I just love the excitement they get out of practicing and showing off their new skill. Carter has loved school. I am so glad I put him in all day as he would have been bored at home. After school, Carter loved doing his homework and was always asking if he could get on the computer to work on blended learning. He was the first kid in the school to finish ST Math for his grade and ended up moving on to challenge himself and completed the 1st grade level as well. At his graduation the kids were given their promotional certificate as well as other awards they'd earned during the year. Carter was on the AB honor roll at the semester and eded the year on the Principal's list for straight A's. He also received an award for Excellence in Art and a certificate for AR reading. AR (Accelerated Reader) is a program where the kids read books based on their reading level then take quizzes to test their understanding of what they read. AR usually doesn't start until 1st grade but as Carter was reading so well his teachers had him participate to challenge him. Carter passed 18 quizzes over the last semester. I am so pleased with how well Carter is doing academically and can't wait to see what future years bring.

Commencement Begins


Blurry picture but loved capturing his
teacher talking about how great Carter is.

My little Graduate

With his teacher Mrs. Corrales

Braden had a wonderful year as well. His teacher was absolutely perfect for him. Braden is a great reader but never really liked to read. This year though, his teacher inspired him and instilled in him a LOVE of reading that just amazes me. Braden who read mostly because he had to last year now reads all the time because he wants to. He reads every night even when I tell him it's too late. He will wake in the middle of the night and not be able to go back to sleep and will turn on his light and start reading. One night after tucking him in and telling him it was late and he needed to sleep I went into his room to check on him and he was under his covers reading with a flashlight. I couldn't stop laughing - how do you get mad at a kid for wanting to read? Braden has really excelled this year and his teacher has been a big encouragement to his growth as a leader and mentor. He helped encourage kids in his class to work harder, he would read to the class for his teacher when her voice was feeling worn out, he took charge and was a great example to everyone. Braden received several awards at his end of year ceremony. He received awards for excellence in both art and reading, he was on the Principal's list for straight A's all year and was awarded the President's Education Award for his outstanding academic achievement. The only challenge I had this year with Braden was homework. Unlike his brother, Braden hated homework; I think it was boing and repetitive for him.

"What ar you doing mom?"


President's Education Award (one per class, per grade)

Checking out his Presidential Pin

Braden's teacher did individual awards for each kid in her class that related some way to a candy. Braden got the "Nerds" award. It was the perfect way to sum up this great year for him.

With Ms. Spencer

Now to celebrate with lots of Summer Fun!!!

No comments: