Kam and I went to St. Croix to celebrate our 15 year wedding anniversary and so he could attend a work conference. When we first arrived I wasn't sure if I was even excited to be there because I was so tired from the long flight and 4 hour time difference. Thankfully we adjusted and got some sleep and had a really great time together.
My mom watched the kids for us and it was fun to send pictures to them of their silly elf, Charlie, who snuck into our luggage.
 |
| View from our private balcony. |
The first day we slept a lot. Kam had meetings in the morning and after we rested we explored the property of the hotel. We kayaked from one of the hotels beaches out over the reef.
 |
| We stayed at the Buccaneer (an old sugar plantation.) |
 |
| This guy walked right in front of us while walking from the beach up to our room. |
Day 2 we took a shuttle into Christiansted. It was a small little town with not much to do, but it was really neat to see the old buildings. We toured the Christiansvaern Fort and learned some history about Alexander Hamilton who lived in St. Croix.
 |
Looking our from the boardwalk we saw this boat and had to take a picture
(Norma H, is Kam's grandmother's name. She passed in December 2009.) |
 |
| For lunch we stopped and ate shrimp corndogs. Yummy! |
Day 3 we took a sailboat tour out to Buck Island to do some snorkeling. We stopped at Turtle beach and then went to the other side of the island to snorkel at the reef. It was so beautiful with lots of colorful fishes. After snorkeling we sailed back to St. Croix to a small beach where we had a BBQ with our hosts.
 |
| Turtle Beach |
Day 4 we hung out on the beach and built sandcastles. We also did lots of swimming and playing in the water. Later in the evening, we drove out to Salt River Bay to do a night kayak to a Biluminecent Bay. The conditions were not the best but it was still really cool to experience. We even got to hold a Comb Jellyfish.
 |
| This guys head was as big as a cantolope. |
Our last day in St. Croix we drove around the island to Fredericksted. It was pretty much the same as Christiansted but less occupied. I'm guessing it's a more happening place when cruise ships come in though. We also drove around looking at the rainforest and other beaches before heading to the airport.
We had a great time, but I was ready to go home and see my kids. Silly how I can be so excited to get a break from being a mom and yet want to get back home to those crazy kids of mine after a short time. Still, time with my Kam is my favorite!
PS. I've decided that traveling in December is a bad idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment