My cousin Greg, who is living in Philadelphia going to Dental School, called me a few months ago and suggested that we go to Kirtland, Ohio for Memorial Day. I am so glad he did because we ended up having a wonderful time sharing this beautiful and historic place together.
We visited the Temple first. It was a little strange to me that we were able to go an a tour of the temple. I realize that since it is no longer owned by the LDS church that this temple is not used the same way as our temples are today, but it was still strange. During the tour I was really amazed at the beauty and intricate details of the temple. I also felt of the great importance that this temple had for the saints in the early days of the church. I didn't feel the spirit like I do when I am at an LDS temple, but I did feel the spirit share with me that this temple was built under the direction of our Lord to carry out the purposes of building and strengthening the church at that time.
The Kirtland Temple
After visiting the temple we headed to the LDS Visitors Center where we were able to go on a guided tour of some of the other historical sites in Kirtland.
Newel K. Whitney Store
The Whitney Home
Johnson Inn
The Sawmill
This saw cut the lumber for the construction of the Temple...
and it was powered by this. It only took a few inches of water to make this work!
The Ashery: Potash was produced in the ashery and exported to eastern markets. Funds from this were used to sustain the Church.
The John Johnson Home (Hiram, Ohio): The Prophet lived here with his family for a year and while here, the Prophet, Joseph Smith was tarred and feathered and the next morning gave a sermon on the front steps.
We really enjoyed being able to hear the stories and testimonies shared by the sister and couple missionaries at these historic sites. My testimony grew so much and my appreciation of the early church members was increased. I am very grateful for their desires to follow the Prophet and do all they could to help establish this, the only true Church that I am a member of. I know that Heavenly Father has a plan and a purpose to all things and that if we trust Him, we will be blessed.
The day after visiting Kirtland, I took Jenna and the kids to Mammoth Park to go down the GIANT slide. It was so fun to watch Brinley go down the slide, she was so excited! I bet she went down 20 times before we could leave and even then was not ready to be done. Braden and Carter enjoyed it too.
Braden and the Famous Slide
Carter watching his Brother...he went down too but I don't have a good picture.












3 comments:
I loved Kirtland when we went in April. I'd never been there before, but especially being at the Johnson farm was very powerful and I just loved it. And what an awesome slide!
That sounds so fun! We went to Nauvoo and visited all the historical sites there and that was amazing too!
Such cute pictures of your kids at the end!
Post a Comment